ADSM-L

Re: CAN RESTORE ACTIVITY BE TRACED?

2006-07-27 15:28:45
Subject: Re: CAN RESTORE ACTIVITY BE TRACED?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:25:19 -0400
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:37:46 -0500, Laura Mastandrea <lmastand AT
>> CHOOSEBROADSPIRE DOT COM> said:

> Is there a trace I can run on this a restore to see what is taking so long?
> Is there a SQL Select that would give me where the time was spent for this
> restore or is my only source the activity log?

[ Oh yeah, you could also... ]

If you MOVE NODEDATA for the affected filesystem onto disk, you can do
several things:  rule out badly fragmented data on the tapes (if it
takes hours to move data from LT0 to local disk, then you have very
very poor fragmentation characteristics) and then you can do the
restore off the disk, which should rule out backhitch problems.

Once those two sources are cut out, it'll probably be really clear if
the network is in the way.

- Allen S. Rout