ADSM-L

Re: Linux vs. Windows TSM Server Environment

2006-07-12 13:37:24
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows TSM Server Environment
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:36:36 -0400
Here's a con:

Linux is UNIX, from TSM's point of view.
So there is no easy way to "switch" a TSM server platform if you need to
retain existing data.
You can't restore a Windows TSM data base to a Linux TSM server.

If your client situation is such that you can crank up a Linux server
and point your clients there, and start your backups anew (and the
passwords will have to be set on the client scheduler), that's fine.
Easy enough.

BUT, if you want to carry over the old data, you have to use
EXPORT/IMPORT.  Very labor intensive.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)