ADSM-L

Re: Offsitevolumes question

2006-06-29 04:45:45
Subject: Re: Offsitevolumes question
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:45:43 -0400
A volume with a status of "filling" is a volume that has not yet hit the
estimated capacity, OR if it also shows 100% and filling, you've hit capacity
but, because of hardware compression, the 'end-of-tape' mark hasn't been hit.

Taking volumes off-site depends on your D/R plans and recovery strategy. We
send ours off-site every morning -- any tape with any data at all on them.
Remember, you'll need a matching TSM database backup to go with the data tapes.

To see what off-site tapes should come back, "q vol acce=of st=emp"; this will
show all volumes that are offsite that are now 'empty'. You will need to run
periodic reclaims to get off-site volumes emptied and freed to return.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc