ADSM-L

Fw: Can 64bit TSM client on 64 bit os overcome backing up large filesytems??

2006-06-26 18:46:14
Subject: Fw: Can 64bit TSM client on 64 bit os overcome backing up large filesytems??
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:45:52 -0400
The basic problem is the limit of addressable virtual memory available to
a Win32 process.

The virtual address space of a Win32 process is 4 gigabytes (2 ^ 32).

By default, only 2 gigabytes of this address space may be allocated as
virtual memory
(the limit can be increased to 3 gigabytes by using the /3GIG boot.ini
setting).

TSM full incremental backup requires loading the entire list of active
objects for a file system
from the TSM server into memory,  and then loading each local directory
branch into memory
one at a time in order to perform the backup.

A large enough file system (the exact number of objects depends a few
variables such as
the length of file names and the directory depth) will eventually cause
the TSM client process
to  run out off addressable memory and not to be able to complete the
backup.

The MemoryEfficient client option somewhat mitigates the process memory
utilization by loading
active files from the server a directory at a time (instead of loading the
entire filespace at once).

Functions such as Incremental By Date and Journal Based Backup are only
available after an
initial  full  incremental backup has completed.

The virtual address space of a Win64 process is much larger (2 ^ 64) than
that of a Win32 process,
so to answer your question, upgrading to Win64 and installing the Win64
TSM client would solve
the problem of running out of memory.

Development is also working on a disk caching solution in a future release
which minimizes
the amount of virtual memory required during a backup and should allow
most file systems
to backed up regardless of size (the trade off of course being that the
backup may take longer
to complete).

Hope this answers your questions ....

Pete Tanenhaus
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on