ADSM-L

new AIX pSeries TSM Server

2006-06-22 04:21:27
Subject: new AIX pSeries TSM Server
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:20:19 -0500

It has been decided that we will move our ZOS mainframe TSM Server to an IBM pSeries 520Q AIX TSM server (instead of the Windows as was first decided) with a new Tape Library (IBM 3584 w/3592-E05 Jaguar drives).  I'm hoping the learning curve won't be too bad ...our TSM server has been on the mainframe since 10/17/1994 :~).  I will be using one of the third party applications to help me with the tape handling since this has always been handled through ZOS before now.  An IBM business partner consultant (tech) will be doing the initial setup and since the TSM Server and Jaguar will be located offsite I'm anxious to hear what the new backup/offsite strategy will be.   I can think of a few different strategies we may use but have not seen an actual plan yet.  In the past TSM has always been handled in-house so I'm not really sure what to expect from the consultant who will be setting the system up.

One of the main things I can't figure out though is how will I be backing the new TSM server up?  Besides the database I mean.  With the mainframe I've just added the defined TSM environment disk volumes to the nightly MVS full-volume backups that rotate offsite.  If there was ever a "disaster", we would have just restored the mainframe environment at the hot-site, which in turn would have restored the TSM environment.  As the client servers are restored by their administrators, they would use the offsite backup copies to restore the TSM client data.

My question is...how do I backup the new TSM server environment on the pSeries box?  I know to do a daily TSM db & config backup but will I have to recreate the whole rest of the environment on a new server, then restore the db?  Or can I do a full backup of the server to cd or tape and just restore the whole TSM environment that way?

Sorry if this seems like such a dumb question...please take into consideration that I'm of a mainframe mind-set and will have to start to adjust my whole way of thinking :~)

Thank you,
Shannon
sbach AT mge DOT com