ADSM-L

META-topic: USENET mirror/archive of ADSM-L ?

2006-06-21 14:47:19
Subject: META-topic: USENET mirror/archive of ADSM-L ?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:46:58 -0400
Greetings, all.

I don't know how many of you are of a vintage to recall USENET, but I
still use it today, and recall its' broader audience with pleasure.

But USENET is at core NNTP, a protocol for accessing messages, not
simply the swamp of spam and flames into which the first USENET
degenerated.  For those of us who got used to using good tools,
mailing lists are frustratingly feature-poor in comparison.

But there's good news on that front:  The GMANE project

http://gmane.org/

offers both an archive and an alternate access method, of which I've
been eagerly availing myself for some time.

If, like me, you find that the search engine on adsm.org is less
useful than it might be; if you are less than enamored with the
fragmentation of discussions into forums and posts, then this could
help.

Using the GMANE service wouldn't require anyone currently using the
list to do anything different.  It would permit access and search
through the additional protocol, and would permit those so inclined to
view our list on a 'pull' rather than a 'push' basis.

So, I thought I'd float this before the audience at large, before I
made a more formal request to the list owner.

- Allen S. Rout