ADSM-L

Re: TSM diskpool on SATA

2006-06-21 13:26:23
Subject: Re: TSM diskpool on SATA
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:23:35 -0500
> Thing is, even all SATA is not created equal.  Before you decide you can
> put PRIMARY disk on SATA, ask about SUSTAINED throughput rates.
>
> If your data needs to go SOMEWHERE ELSE (like get copied or migrated to
> tape) from the SATA disk, think carefully.   If you're talking a LOT of
> data, think VERY carefully.
>
> I've worked with some SATA disk that drop to as low as 8MB/second after
> you exceed the cache read ahead/flush capacity (and that's on READ I/O,
> not even writes!).

Ouch.  I think I can get better than that with an eMachines home computer.
 I hope that wasn't one of the top tier vendor's storage subsystems.  The
old addage of you get what you pay for applies to SATA disk as well.

John Monahan
Consultant Infrastructure Solutions
Computech Resources, Inc.
Office: 952-833-0930 ext 109