ADSM-L

Re: DRP file email help

2006-06-21 11:25:01
Subject: Re: DRP file email help
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:22:11 -0500
 "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/21/2006
08:10:11 AM:

> Hi,
>
> Slightly off topic - I've just taken over a TSM 5.3 W2K3 system and am
> very slowly getting to grips with it and as part of it I want to copy
> off the DR files everyday. The only way to do this is via Email. I'm
> using blat to several emails with attachments every morning. Eg :-
>
> blat test.txt -subject "test" -server xxxxxxxxx -r -log send.txt -to
> xxxxxx AT xxxxxx DOT com -attach "c:\program
> files\tivoli\tsm\server1\devcnfg.out"
>
> This is fine with the static named files like devcnfg.out but how do I
> select the latest DRP file as an attachment. I'm think of  somehow using
> the date to get the start of the file then copying to a static file and
> sending that but vbscript etc is not my strongest point!! Anyone  doing
> this already or have any idea?

Here is an example of what I've done before:

blat c:\tsmdata\scripts\drm.txt -s "TSM Disaster Recovery Files" -attach
c:\tsmdata\drm\planexpl.vbs -attach c:\tsmdata\drm\2* -t %EMAILADDR1%

The file drm.txt actually contains the DR restore instructions so
everything needed to recover the TSM server is in the email.  There is
another script which deletes all DR plan files in the c:\tsmdata\drm\
directory once per week (del 2*), usually on Sunday.  So on Friday's
email, there are most likely 5 DRM plan files attached to the email
(Mon-Fri plans), on Monday there would only be one, Tuesday 2, etc.  Then
a rule is setup on the destination email client to automatically delete
these emails older than a certain number of days (like 2-3 weeks) to keep
the mailbox from filling up.

John Monahan
Consultant Infrastructure Solutions
Computech Resources, Inc.