ADSM-L

Re: SQL SELECT Query

2006-06-16 11:31:13
Subject: Re: SQL SELECT Query
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:30:34 -0400
Hello, Laura -

Andy said it best (and most definitively).  Some details and thoughts...

The FILESPACES table contains the datestamp for when an unqualified
Incremental backup completed.  The details of what was backed up is
contained in the client schedule log.  Auditors may require retention
of these logs.  This is the detailed verification of backup.

The server BACKUPS table stores information about when each file
system object was backed up, including when. This represents a server-
side, queryable catalog of backed up files. It does not contain
volume information: that is in the CONTENTS table (which is arduous
to query).  Neither table contains storage pool name info: a join
with the Volumes table would be necessary (which adds to processing
overhead).

If you know from the backup that the file got to TSM storage, then
the Activity Log evidence of a successful Backup Stgpool (or Preview)
on its destination stgpool is the quickest way to verify that the
files are indeed in the offsite stgpool.  You can further verify this
via an extension of your suggestion to the auditors by temporarily
marking the primary storage pool and any used onsite copy storage
pool as Unavailable and then attempt a Restore, which would evidence
if the file was in the offsite pool.

You can get a list of your offsite volumes and when last written, for
a given node and filespace, via like:

select VOLUME_NAME, LAST_WRITE_DATE from VOLUMES where VOLUME_NAME in -
(select VOLUME_NAME from volumeusage where node_name='HOST05' AND
FILESPACE_NAME='/users' AND STGPOOL_NAME='STGP_BACKUP_OFFSITE')

For a given primary stgpool volume, you can use the Query CONTent
command with COPied=Yes to verify if its contents are in a copy
storage pool (any copy pool).

   hope that helps,  Richard Sims