ADSM-L

Re: SQL SELECT Query

2006-06-16 10:37:46
Subject: Re: SQL SELECT Query
From: Laura Mastandrea <lmastand AT CHOOSEBROADSPIRE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:37:11 -0500
Thank you!

Okay, back to the query can I just get information the this node was backed
up on this data to the offsite storage pool successfull?  Giving them the
information that the schedule completed successfully isn't enough.

I've suggested to the auditors that we recover the file if they truly want
proof.

Laura

         ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                                         cc

                                                                       From
                                                                    Sent by

           Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>  on  06/16/2006 08:17 AM
                                                                    Subject
         Re: [ADSM-L] SQL SELECT Query

           Please respond to

On Jun 16, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Laura Mastandrea wrote:

> I have been asked from our auditors to get the following.  Does
> anyone have
> a SQL query that does this or know where or how I can get this
> information?
>
> The auditors are requesting a report out of TSM that would show
> which tape
> a backup for a specific schedule on a specific date was written to.
>
> Is this information available?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Laura

Laura -

In terms of modern data processing standards and technology, that's
not a valid question for auditors to be asking.  They should be
asking for the means of assuring that any given backup is secured on
non-volatile media, regardless of type or number of volumes or
replication (e.g., copy storage pools).  It matters only that the
data is assuredly in the backing store.  What volume it is currently
on is irrelevant (and changes, as reclamations are run).

I get the impression that your auditors are working from a
questionnaire developed in the 1980s, where a backup was written to a
tape drive (e.g., 8mm) attached to a given system, producing a single
tape per backup.  That's a long-outdated concept.

    Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs

DISCLAIMER:
This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is intended
only for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of any information
contained in or attached to this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
destroy the original communication and its attachments without reading,
printing or saving in any manner. This communication does not form any
contractual obligation on behalf of the sender or, the sender's employer, or
the employer's parent company, affiliates or subsidiaries.