ADSM-L

Re: Backing up UNC paths

2006-06-14 14:49:15
Subject: Re: Backing up UNC paths
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:53:05 -0600
Hmmmm.....

This looks like a variant of IC47933 that might not have been covered by
that fix.

A workaround that might address your issue: run the following command:

   net use <sharename>

For example:

   net use \\storman\testshare

Then start the GUI and see if the share appears.

Note: this issue should not prohibit command line client or scheduled
backups from processing the share. For example, the following should still
work:

   dsmc i \\storman\testshare

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/14/2006
10:36:19:

> We just started upgrading our TSM clients to V 5.3.4, connecting to our
> 5.3.3 server.
>
> On one of our Windows clients, we've historically backed up one specific
> folder via a UNC path in order to make that its own filespace in TSM.
That
> has worked perfectly for the three years or so that we ran V 5.1.
>
> Yesteday when I tried to configure the V 5.3 client to perform the same
> UNC backup, it wouldn't work.
>
> Even though I was signed in as domain administrator, I couldn't select
any
> paths under "Network" in the client GUI.  Nor could I specify any
network
> paths in the client setup wizard.  I tried configuring with and without
> Domain statements in dsm.opt file, and with/without Include statements
for
> the UNC path.  In no case could I see, specify, use, whatever, any UNC
> path in the client or wizard.  This is a file server with about 100
Shares