ADSM-L

Multi-process reclamation - THANKS

2006-06-09 12:57:02
Subject: Multi-process reclamation - THANKS
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:56:38 -0500
This one is  positive.

TSM 5.3.3.0 on AIX 5.3 ML-4

One of the new features of TSM 5.3 is the ability to have more than one
reclamation process for a storage pool.

To whoever designed and implemented that, I say "Thank you."

Our copypool is hosted on a 5-year old HP DLT library with four DLT8000
drives.  Average sustained throughput is 8 MB/s per drive.

We run maintenance weekly, including copypool reclamation.  Normally that
reclamation starts on Tuesday evening and runs through mid-day Thursday,
re-writing about 500 GB of data to the output volumes.

Last week I configured the copypool to use two reclamation processes.
Reclamation started at 6 PM Tuesday as normal.  When I came in Wednesday
morning, it was finished and had written about 480 GB.  That's 1-1/2
_DAYS_ faster than before!

So, again, thanks for the great enhancement.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.