ADSM-L

Re: 3-Kinds of Tapes & Drives in 3494 ATL

2006-06-06 11:32:00
Subject: Re: 3-Kinds of Tapes & Drives in 3494 ATL
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:31:39 -0400
-----Zoltan Forray wrote: -----

>We are getting ready to upgrade our 3494 ATL with 3592-E05 drives
>(and other stuff like library manager, etc) and I am looking for
>information from someone who has such a configuration.
>
>Currently, we share the library between our z/OS MF (3590B/J - ESCON)
>and 2-AIX and 2-Linux TSM servers (3590E/K - SAN).

We have two mainframe Linux TSM servers and three z/OS systems sharing
a 3494. The TSM servers use both 3590 and 3592 drives and media.

>I am concerned about the mix of K and whatever type tapes the 3592
>drives will use, since each TSM server will be using both types of media
>(can we say 80GB DB backup on a 1TB tape......NO !)
>
>How do you control which processes use which drives within the same
>library ? I know the device class has options for 3592 types, but
>you have to define it within the same library ?  Will this work ?

You will have to define a separate library for the 3592 drives and
media, with its own set of category values. You will have to define
a path between the server and the new library. This will specify
the same device as the path from the server to the current 3590
library. The common device name is what causes mount, dismount, and
category change requests for both TSM libraries to be sent to the
same 3494.