ADSM-L

3-Kinds of Tapes & Drives in 3494 ATL

2006-06-06 11:09:00
Subject: 3-Kinds of Tapes & Drives in 3494 ATL
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:11:22 -0400
We are getting ready to upgrade our 3494 ATL with 3592-E05 drives (and
other stuff like library manager, etc) and I am looking for information
from someone who has such a configuration.

Currently, we share the library between our z/OS MF (3590B/J - ESCON) and
2-AIX and 2-Linux TSM servers (3590E/K - SAN).

I am concerned about the mix of K and whatever type tapes the 3592 drives
will use, since each TSM server will be using both types of media (can we
say 80GB DB backup on a 1TB tape......NO !)

How do you control which processes use which drives within the same
library ?  I know the device class has options for 3592 types, but you
have to define it within the same library ?  Will this work ?

Does the new library manager hardware/software give us the capability to
connect with multiple links from the same TSM server, as separate
"libraries" so library definitions can separate the category codes and we
can define two libraries to each TSM server ?