ADSM-L

Re: Can data be read from scratch tapes?

2006-05-31 16:40:23
Subject: Re: Can data be read from scratch tapes?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 13:44:17 -0700
Hi Brenda,

I'm not certain what the thrust of your question is. If you mean, "can TSM
read the tapes", the answer is "no", at least not unless you restore the
database to a point in time where those tapes were known to the server.

If the server database is completely destroyed and you have no backups,
then TSM cannot read the tapes. You would need to contact IBM technical
support for assistance with rescuing the data from the tapes; that process
is outside the scope of what is formally supported, and requires a special
contract and fees beyond the standard support contract (with no guarantee
of success).

On the other hand, if you are asking whether someone could use some kind
of other tool to read the tapes and get data off of them... the answer is
"yes", though we do not document any process for doing this. TSM does
nothing to overwrite, erase, or otherwise protect the data on the tapes,
so it's still there. You can search the ADSM-L archives using criteria

   raibeck tape security

for prior discussion along these lines. See
http://msgs.adsm.org/cgi-bin/get/adsm0502/323/3.html for a specific post
that discusses this in some detail.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2006-05-31
13:32:37: