ADSM-L

Re: Why are Macs STILL so slow?

2006-05-29 02:13:22
Subject: Re: Why are Macs STILL so slow?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 08:15:11 +0200
Roger Deschner wrote:
> When this thread was last active, I had discovered, thanks to a tip on
> this list, that MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP YES was the default, and set it to
> NO. That did help some.
>
> But all our Mac clients still run extremely slowly. A WinXP box and a
> Mac G4 OSX 10.3 box, both running TSM 5.3.2, are sitting side-by-side,
> so they have the same network connectivity. But the WinXP machine backs
> up about 15 times faster than the Mac. The wall clock time for the Mac
> is about 4 hours, compared to about 10 minutes for WinXP. We added a Mac
> client contaiing about 1TB of data, and it is still running its initial
> full backup after a week.
>
> What can be done to speed up the Mac TSM client?

two things:

macs have a lot more files than windows systems have. Both my macs have
well over 300000 files, this makes some difference. Both my macs backup
in about 10 minutes...

I _always_ find that something is wrong in the network in these cases.
It is not uncommon to see 'duplex mismatch' slow down backups. Do not
assume that because both systems are plugged into the same switch, both
switchports are configured the same, and that both systems are
configured the same....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams