ADSM-L

Re: Strange ANS1520E messages

2006-05-24 07:43:48
Subject: Re: Strange ANS1520E messages
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 07:42:48 -0400
Hi, Thomas - That's a good one...

You can verify whether the number/text inconsistency is a TSM
programming error, or an OS problem, via the following C fragment:

  #include <string.h>
  printf("Errno 13 text = '%s'\n", strerror(13));

(In AIX, at least, error strings are contained in libc.a module
errlst.o array sys_errlist.)

In any case, the scenario is made needlessly worse by one of my pet
peeves about the TSM product: lazy programming in the messages
emitted in error handling. In this case, the programmer shortchanged
the customer by not including the full path of *which* TSM error log
was at issue, so that the customer could unambiguously pursue the
issue. I can envision the case where dsmc was kicked off with specs
which told it to use an error log in a non-standard location and,
finding it could not write to it, reverted to the dsmerror.log in the
install directory to record the message. Depends upon how it's
programmed.

Note also that "permissions" is one cause of the errno 13 (EACCES):
another is locking, as via lockf().

Error log handling was thoroughly overhauled in TSM 5.3 (see the TSM
5.3 FAQ: IBM Technote 1193418). There may have been errors in the
programming of this 5.3 HP-UX client. I'd call it in to TSM Support.

   Richard Sims