ADSM-L

[Fwd: TSM Mac Problems Reappearing]

2006-05-23 11:11:46
Subject: [Fwd: TSM Mac Problems Reappearing]
From: fred johanson <fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:11:28 -0500
From one of my MAC users.  Anyone know about this?

Hello,

The problems with the Mac version of TSM that I had a long time ago are
reappearing. If I select a high level of the file hierarchy, such as the
machine or the hard drive or the Users folder, recently modified files
buried deep in my Documents folder are often not backed up. Manually
drilling down to the subfolder enclosing the modified files does back up
the files.

It seemed like this wasn't happening for a period before my hard drive
crashed a while back. It does not happen on Windows. I am using the
latest TSM client for Mac, 5.3.2.1, but the problem occurs with using an
older version, 5.2.4.10, as well.

This is a problem in that it requires a lot of manual intervention to
make sure all files are backed up regularly.

One option is to back up my Mac by manually mounting its drive on my
Windows machine, and using the Windows client for TSM. I just worry that
the TSM people would be concerned about overall capacity and not be happy
that I appear to be backing up the same drive on two different nodes. Is
overall capacity an issue with the university's TSM installation?

Any help you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeremy

Fred Johanson
ITSM Administrator
University of Chicago