ADSM-L

Re: AW: TDP for Exchange - Management Class

2006-05-22 08:41:12
Subject: Re: AW: TDP for Exchange - Management Class
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:40:26 -0400
I can understand how it can be a little confusing,
but if the management classes were used how you suggest,
it would contradict the whole basis of management classes
in the backup copy groups. This is backup, not archive.
That means each backup object on the TSM server, with
the same name, gets the same management class.
This is a strict rule, that has no exceptions.
This is the same as the BA client backing up a file.
That is why I recommend using a COPY-type backup
for your Exchange "archival" purposes. You can bind the
COPY-type backups to a management class that meets
your longer term needs.  And, all of this can be automated,
with no manual intervention.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/20/2006
04:56:43 AM: