ADSM-L

Moving our TSM Server off MVS/ZOS to Win2003

2006-05-19 12:58:31
Subject: Moving our TSM Server off MVS/ZOS to Win2003
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:56:38 -0500

We recently received the okay to move our current TSM Server off the MVS/ZOS mainframe to a Windows server.  Along with this, we will be getting an IBM 3584 Library with (6)TS1120 Jaguar tape drives ...this will be exclusive to TSM and may be located at an offsite location (still waiting for decision from above).  And I'll have 800 GB's of disk from an IBM DS6800.  I'll have to export/move the current date from a 3594 Magstar ATL and some older archived data on a VTL to the Jaguar.   That will consist of moving date from 3590e carts with around 20 GB's of data to cartridges with a capacity of 300 GB's.

Having always been a "mainframer" :~)... I am wondering if anyone else here has gone through this transition and wouldn't mind passing on some useful tips.  I have been browsing on the Internet for a redbook or white paper... even a checklist of considerations, but haven't found much as yet.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...and feel free to email me directly.

Thank you...  Shannon

Madison Gas & Electric Co
Operations Analyst -Data Center Services
Information Management Systems
sbach AT mge DOT com
Office 608-252-7260