ADSM-L

Re: Journal Testing Tool / Mass file,folder creator

2006-05-18 09:33:45
Subject: Re: Journal Testing Tool / Mass file,folder creator
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:30:20 -0400
Andy,

Thanks for the pointer to the JBB Faq. I realize you were addressing a
Windows question when you replied, but for us unix customers the Faq
appeares to be dated and incorrect, namely:

"What platforms and TSM client versions is Journal Based Backup
available
for?

Journal Based Backup is currently only implemented on the Windows
platform and will
runs on any supported 32-bit version of Windows NT/2000/XP/2003.

It does not work on non-NT based versions of Windows (Win95, Win98,
WinMe).

Journal Based Backup was introduced in TSM Windows 32-bit client
version 4.2.2.

As of this writing, the most up to date version of this function is TSM
client version 5.2.2."

Is there an updated Faq that addresses the unix client JBB?

David

>>> storman AT US.IBM DOT COM 5/17/2006 3:56:09 PM >>>
I would recommend going to the web site in my sig, and searching on
"journal based backup faq". That should yield an FAQ for journal-based
backup that you will find informative.

We do not have any such tools for general release to create or delete
files as you ask. However, it should not be too difficult to script up
something that can use simple operating system commands like "copy" or
"echo" to rapidly generate large numbers of files.

Simple example (assumes you have a test file called "c:\testfile") from
Windows OS prompt to create 5 files in a directory called c:\testdir:

md c:\testdir
for /l %a in (1,1,5) do @copy c:\tsm\baclient\dsm.opt
c:\testdir\testfile%a

As for deleting the files, if you contain them within a directory (or
manageable number of directories) with no other production files, you
can
use the the operating system's "rd" or "del" commands to remove the
files.

In general, though, I would advise that you use the information in the
to get started. Among other things, it includes tools to help you
determine whether jbb is a fit for a particular system without
actually
having to install and run jbb.

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2006-05-17
12:13:06: