ADSM-L

Re: Disk-to-Disk Backup

2006-05-16 11:27:44
Subject: Re: Disk-to-Disk Backup
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:27:05 -0400
I believe that the restore performance for small files is impacted by
how spread out they are on tape (the same tape, not different
tapes).  If all of the files you are restoring are contiguous, I
believe that tape can perform much faster.  The problem we run into
is that there are gaps between the files.  Caused either by expired
files, or other nodes sharing the same tape (even with collocation,
if you have multiple nodes per tape).  Thus, when doing performance
testing on tape, it is important to understand the test data that you
are restoring (i.e., whether the files are contiguous on tape or
not).  We have found this makes a noticeable difference.

Jon, when you state that "the more clients you add, the slower each
backup stream becomes", are you talking about TSM clients?  If so,
are you talking about simultaneous backup streams, or just the fact
that multiple clients are registered on the TSM server?  I'm trying
to understand what the cause of the performance degradation is.

We have also been considering data reduction type devices to add to
our TSM environment.  I am curious whether you are using client
compression or client encryption, and to what degree that interferes
with the reduction.  FYI, Sepaton recently announced a data reduction
capability on their vTape product.  I don't know too much about it,
but I think it does after-the-fact reduction by scanning files already stored.

..Paul