ADSM-L

Re: Seeking thoughts on Cyrus email backup/restore

2006-05-16 11:19:22
Subject: Re: Seeking thoughts on Cyrus email backup/restore
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:18:41 -0400
Richard,

I'll try to get you some detailed information from our Cyrus support
person.  We have been running Cyrus for years.  A couple of years ago
we had some filesystem corruption and had to restore a mail spool
filesystem from TSM.  It took much longer than we wanted/expected it
to.  Yes, it's just the "restoring large quantities of small files" problem.

We have upgraded our TSM DB disks to FAStT 900, 15K rpm, and that has
helped some.  Parallel restore sessions helps some.  Using 'testflag
disable nqr' helps some.  Other things we have thought about, but
have not yet implemented, include:

- using vTape or serial access disk volumes, for keeping the email
backups.  Most of the performance penalty is involved in tape
skipping.  When restoring dis-contiguous files off of tape, it takes
time to reposition the tape.  This adds up.  This penalty is avoided
with vTape.

- using a combination of image backup and filesystem
backup.  Restoring an image first, then applying incremental
file-based backups should be faster than just restoring everything at
the file level.  Of course, if your corruption is backed up with the
image, you can still resort to the file-level backups.  The image
doesn't have to be in TSM, but could also be storage-system based
(i.e., flash copy).

..Paul