ADSM-L

Clustered Mount points don't show up as clustered in TSM

2006-05-10 09:08:42
Subject: Clustered Mount points don't show up as clustered in TSM
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:08:23 -0700
I have a cluster that has two separate two node file clusters. These clusters
have both clustered disk and clustered mount points.  These started out as
normal Microsoft Windows 2003 file clusters but then the added Veritas Volume
Manager to the mix.

  With Veritas Volume Manager instead of each disk and mount point being a
separate clustered resource when you look at them in cluster administrator
there is a single clustered resource called "Volume Manager" or something like
that. Then on the properties\parameters tab of that clustered resource you see
all the disk and mount points.

  My problem is that when I have "ClusterNode Yes" in the dsm.opt file and
launch the GUI using it, I see ever single clustered disk as I would expect but
none of the mount points show up.  Then when I set "ClusterNode No" I see the
local disk and the mount points.  The scheduled backup also reports an error
"Not Clustered Disk" when it trys to backup the mount points when "ClusterNode
Yes" is set in the options file it uses.

  This seems to be a simple problem where they just have to fix the mount
points and set them up correctly. However, those mount points fail back and
forth with the cluster and when they do everyone can access them as they
should. So the customer feels that the mount points must be setup correctly.
The mount points themselves are all created on disk that is clustered.  Also,
just like normal mount points when TSM gets to that folder in the file
structure it does not back up the data through the disk drive because it expect
the data to be backed up through the mount point.

  I'm wondering if there is any chance anyone else has run into this? If not
then I was wondering if anyone else has mount points being backed up by TSM on
a regular Windows 2003 cluster without Veritas Volume Manager.  If I can at
least confirm that in a non-Volume Manager solution the mount points do show up
as "Clustered" then I can lean more on Veritas to explain why theirs show up
differently.

  For now we are backing up the mount points through the single local node name
that backs up the physical server and local disk. I am thinking about trying to
create a options file on the clustered disk with "ClusterNode No" and then
seeing if I can actually go through and create a client acceptor service and
client acceptor cluster resource.  I've only ever created these two things with
options files that had "ClusterNode Yes" before.

  Thanks,
  Kyle