ADSM-L

Client restores for NFS server backups

2006-05-03 22:52:30
Subject: Client restores for NFS server backups
From: Lance Nakata <LNakata AT SLAC.STANFORD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 19:52:02 -0700
Setup: TSM 5.1.5.4 server running on SPARC Solaris 9
       TSM 5.2.0.4 client running on SPARC Solaris 9
       TSM 5.2.2.0 client running on Intel/AMD RHEL3

Scenario: I'm running TSM backups on a SPARC Solaris 9 NFS server
named nfssrv1, backing up the /home partition.  /home contains
subdirs smith and jones, owned respectively by smith and jones.
nfssrv1 exports /home to nfsclient1.

Question: if user smith logs on to nfsclient1, is there a way for
him to restore his own /home/smith files without knowing nfssrv1's
TSM password?

The command

nfsclient1> dsm -virtualnode=nfssrv1

asks for nfssrv1's password, which I obviously don't want to give to
every /home user.  I'm wondering how other sites handle this issue
if the goal is to give users the ability to restore their own files.
I couldn't find any best practices related to this in the FAQ or
client and admin docs or google.  Thanks.

--
Lance Nakata                    Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)
Scientific Computing and        2575 Sand Hill Road, MS 97