ADSM-L

Tape compression

2006-05-02 13:56:09
Subject: Tape compression
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:55:22 -0700
Here's the setup:

TSM 5.3.3.0

AIX 5.3

Device Class LTO format=Untrium2C Est Cap 409GB

I know I've probably beaten this to death but I'd like info from folks with
LTO2's if you don't mind. Last night we moved a group of Domino servers that
are getting at least 4-1 compression on 3590's to a system with LTO2's. I
would have expected to see the same 4-1 compression with this same data on
the LTO2 tape but we don't seem to.

Here's a J tape 10/20 with notes data:

U00196                       NOTES_TPOOL     3590CLASS       99,586.6
100.0       Full

Here's a K tape 20/40 with notes data:

U04323                       NOTES_TPOOL     3590CLASS      188,547.5
74.8       Full

Here's a LTO2 tape 200/400 with notes data going offsite:

T00152                       OFFSITE_POOL     LTO            258,022.6
100.0       Full

For those that are using similar systems, would you please tell me what
firmware you are on with the drives and library and include devclass info?
Would you also include an output from tapes? I have an open case and want to
see if something is wrong on my side or if what I have is what I'm going to
get.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com