ADSM-L

Re: archive hangs

2006-05-02 08:27:58
Subject: Re: archive hangs
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:27:17 -0400
Ralph - Your ethernet adapter values look good, and are
        consistent with the gige adapter settings I have.

As Dirk said, do 'netstat -v' and look for any error counts.

As you found, AIX sadly lacks an explicit gigabit speed setting for
ethernet ports, at least at the 5.2 level, so we have to specify the
vague "Auto_Negotiation", which is an historic can of worms in
networking, where variations in network gear often leads to conflicts
- and mysterious loss of performance. Your networking people need to
work with you on this (not just briefly examine router statistics).

This gets back to the original issue of archive "hanging". I would
recommend pursuing that unto itself, looking at both ends of the TSM
session for indications why. You might experience reduced performance
due to networking inconsistencies, but "hangs" are something else
again. The logs may reveal issues.

Review the cited redbook for TCP parameters. In particular, the
tcp_recvspace value governs the TCP Window Size and affects pacing.
(There is also a TSM client option for this.)  A rule in debugging is
that when you're stuck, change values in a controlled manner to
ascertain what affects what, and how much.  You might try halving
your boosts and see if that's the issue, for example.

  Richard Sims