ADSM-L

Re: dsm.opt not fully effective for server induced backups

2006-04-29 12:34:17
Subject: Re: dsm.opt not fully effective for server induced backups
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:37:19 -0600
Minor correction and comment to my prior post on this subject:

CORRECTION
In my prior note on this subject, I wrote:

So between those two EXCLUDE statements, just about everything on z: is
excluded. The lone exception, that you can't bypass, is the root of z:
itself. Thus the first time you run:

   dsmc incremental z:

You will see this, and only this object get backed up:

   Directory-->                   0 \\amr\c$\ [Sent]

At the same time, note that z: is still scanned by any backup operations
that target z:. It is just that nothing will get backed up.

Obviously my example object that gets backed up reflects my c: drive. I
should have edited more carefully. That line should read:

   Directory-->                   0 \\amr\z$\ [Sent]

Note it should be \\amr\z$, not \\amr\c$.

COMMENT
When I say that you can't exclude a drive on Windows, NetWare, or Mac, I
should qualify that:

- The EXCLUDE and EXCLUDE.DIR statements, at least for Windows, come very
close to matching the functionality of EXCLUDE.FS. The only difference is
that the root of the drive is still eligible for backup (as in \\amr\z$ or
\\amr\c$).

- Since my main focus is on the Windows client, I am not absolutely
certain of the behavior for the roots of NetWare or Mac file systems.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 04/29/2006
09:25:47:

> > I do not mean to be disagreeable, but my testing has indicated that
you
> > cannot exclude a drive in Windows with an exclude or exclude.dir
> > command.  I use the domain -z: and that works.
>
> Well.... yes and no. It depends on how rigidly or loosely you define the
> word "exclude". The short answer is that, at least in TSM terms, you
> cannot exclude a drive on Windows, NetWare, or Mac (see addendum 2 near
> the bottom of my post).

[snip]