ADSM-L

Re: general question on TSM backups TSM 5.3.0.0 on AIX 5.3

2006-04-27 18:48:22
Subject: Re: general question on TSM backups TSM 5.3.0.0 on AIX 5.3
From: "Bos, Karel" <Karel.Bos AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 00:42:19 +0200
Hi,

First, a TSM server and/or client X.X.0.0 version is only for bug report
and shouldn't be used in whatever production environment after IBM has
released the first fixes/patches (my opinion).

Second, if you really are using full and incremental back-ups on a
weekly bases of file servers, why are you using TSM???!!! Incremental
forever (do not backup files that aren't changed and have already been
backupped) is the key feature of TSM!

Last, backup generations are grandfather, father, son backup schemes and
shouldn't be used on TSM. Maybe that's why you can not translate them to
your back-up copy group definitions?

Just read the documentation of backup/archive copy groups and match them
with whatever your system administrators and DBA's want to be able to
restore.

Regards,

Karel