ADSM-L

Re: Recommended policy for single drive scenario

2006-04-27 01:33:19
Subject: Re: Recommended policy for single drive scenario
From: MUHAMMAD SADAT ANWAR <sadi AT SUPER.NET DOT PK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:23:31 +0500
Dear mario,
If you have 300GB of data to backup everyday, then you can insert your tape
into the drive and schedule all the client backups accordingly to be backedup
to that tape.

Still if you want to keep one tape for everyday, then you need to take
selective backups for everyday.

I once had a configuration with one tape drive withthe following:

I used normal configuation of all the policies as if i had a library. Keeping
9999 versions of data exists, and 9999 versions of data deleted. Retain extra
and Retain Only versions as 32. This was done for my daily backups. I was
taking incremental backups and was fine with the amount of data backedup daily.

I was taking backups on diskpool in the night with schedules, and would migrate
all the data to Primary tape pool.

Effectively since you can not make DR tapes here, once your data is moved to
Tape, you run prepare and then you backup the database onto separate tape. This
set of tapes with DB backup and a floppy containing your plan file would also
behave like a DR tapes set.

Keep your DB expire, volume reuse delay to same as per your requirements that
to which day you might need to revert in case of disaster. I would recommend
that you keep these tapes and floppies into a fire proof and heat resistant
vault at your location. You can not efffectively send these tapes to offsite
since you would need these tapes daily.

While you are backingup your data daily on a single tape or a set of tapes,
reclaimation would arrive after 32 days. At this time you need some extra space
to create migration pool on your hard disk. This would be a temporary pool that
will hold your data in the process of reclaimation. You should set reclaimation
to 100 percent in normal days and turn it on to for example 60 when you think
you need to perform reclaimation.

Sadi

 ---- mariobehring AT yahoo DOT com wrote :
> Hi Muhammad,
>
> There are about 20 or 30 clients. I guess that 100GB is available at the
> server for use by the diskpool.
>
> I was thinking about trying to use TSM like smaller backup softwares like
> ArcServe, using a tape for each day of the week (from Monday to Friday). I
> know that the smart thing to do would be to have a second drive.........I´ve
> already installed and configured TSM with automated tape
> libraries.........but this customer is a small company and they will not
> change anything on their environment..........so, it will be the operator´s
> responsibility to change tapes everyday and to perform no reclamation
> whatsoever.
>
> Any suggestions on how to configure a TSM policy for such scenario ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mario

 Sent via SUPERwebmail - Supernet web-based email service
 http://www.super.net.pk/mail