ADSM-L

Re: Throttling back TSM client

2006-04-26 11:41:44
Subject: Re: Throttling back TSM client
From: David W Litten <dlitten AT DUKE-ENERGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:37:00 -0400
I know that this doesn't appear to have a direct affect on network
utilization but... Another setting that you may want to use is
MEMORYEFFECIENTBACKUP YES in the dsm.opt file.

             Troy Frank
             <Troy.Frank@UWMF.
             WISC.EDU>                                                  To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .edu>                     Re: [ADSM-L] Throttling back TSM
                                       client

             04/25/2006 03:26
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .edu>

Turn on client-side compression so you monopolize their cpu instead?
Sorry, couldn't resist.  You have a problem some of us wish we had.
Usually the filesystem scanning takes long enough that it creates pauses
in the use of the nic (at least here).  You might be able to
intentionally hobble tsm's network performance by playing with the

TCPBUFFSIZE
TCPWINDOWSIZE
TXNBYTELIMIT

settings in the dsm.opt file.  Setting RESOURCEUTILIZATION lower would
also probably slow things down enough to let other apps get more nic
share.

>>> psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU 4/25/2006 1:13:58 PM >>>
We have a small number of users here who are complaining that when a
TSM backup runs on their client system, it monopolizes use of their
network card. They are looking for a way to throttle back TSM's use
of the network. Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas? The only
thing I've come up with is to configure a secondary NIC at 10MB/s and
point these users at that card. This seems crude to me, so other
ideas would be welcome.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Systems Fx: 607-255-8521

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.