ADSM-L

Re: TSM BA client on Exchange 4-way cluster hangs

2006-04-26 06:32:27
Subject: Re: TSM BA client on Exchange 4-way cluster hangs
From: "Schaub, Steve" <steve_schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:23:26 -0400
Wanda,

Your symptoms sound similar to an issue I'm having, only mine is on a
TDP-SQL machine.
If you are running x64, MS seems to have "broken" their VSS when used
with 32bit apps (in my case SQL2000).

If running an ntbackup of the systemstate results in a hang followed by
this message, you may need an MS hotfix for VSS:
Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
Timeout before function completed

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy: 0xffffffff.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:ffffffff Aborting
Backup.

Or you could trace the tsm cmd line client and look for this:
04/21/2006 12:39:51.377 [004556] [3132] : vssreq.cpp          (8228):
VssRequestor::QueryStatus(): VSS - waiting for asynchronous operation to
complete for caller 'VssQuerySystemWriters()'
04/21/2006 13:12:27.978 [004556] [3132] : vssreq.cpp          (3201):
VssQuerySystemWriters(): Asynchronous GatherWriterMetadata finished.

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, WNI
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
423-752-6574 (desk)