ADSM-L

Re: SAN Disk for TSM diskpool for backups ?

2006-04-20 13:06:20
Subject: Re: SAN Disk for TSM diskpool for backups ?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:00:49 -0500
You will experience slower client backups with ANY configuration that is
RAID5 for your disk storage pools. The reason is that client backup is
100% writes in the disk storage pools, and RAID5 is very slow at writes.
The throughput difference is significant - as much as 75% in our case.

After much experimentation, I have found that RAID1 is best for disk
storage pools. Not RAID5, not RAID10, but RAID1. RAID5 can save you a
little bit of money in disk drives, but you really pay for it in
performance of something that is 100% writes.