ADSM-L

Re: Resend - Policy and DRP question

2006-04-11 08:40:26
Subject: Re: Resend - Policy and DRP question
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:30:32 -0400
You should keep ALL of your copypool tapes offsite.  You should keep TSM
db backup tapes offsite to match your 'del volhist'. You should set your
reuse delay for your offsite copy storage pool to match the length of
time you keep your tsm db backups, in your case 10 days. This last
requirement of good DR is why most folks only keep a small number of TSM
DB backups. We have reuse delay and DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS set to 5
days.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville

>>> pdudley AT ANL.COM DOT AU 4/11/2006 12:49:01 AM >>>
I sent this query a week ago but have not received a reply back. I am
resending in the hope that someone can offer some advice.

We have TSM version 5.2

I have changed the standard policy so that we now keep the 10 latest
versions of each file rather than 7.

I have also changed our del volhist to tod=today-10 where it was
previously 7.

I have been told that previously we had to keep the 7 latest copy
tapes
and db tapes offsite for DRP to ensure that we could recover complete
servers. With the changes that I have made does this mean that we have
to now keep the 10 latest tapes offsite for complete DRP?

Paul Dudley
ANL IT Operations Dept.
pdudley AT anl.com DOT au

ANL DISCLAIMER

This e-mail and any file attached is confidential, and intended solely
to the named addressees. Any unauthorised dissemination or use is
strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender by return e-mail from your system. Please
do not copy, use or make reference to it for any purpose, or disclose
its contents to any person.