ADSM-L

Fw: Migrating to a Library Manager

2006-04-10 09:50:59
Subject: Fw: Migrating to a Library Manager
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:23:13 -0400
I had said . . .

>Fortunely, I am able to experiment since the 3584 is new
>and not in production.  So I've been able to set up
>a test environment to experiment with.

Using everyones suggestions as well as a procedure we found out
on the web (
http://tsmexpert.blogspot.com/2006/03/how-to-setup-library-manager-instance.html
),
we were able to perform a test migration to a library manager
instance in our test environment.  It went very well.

I only had one problem . . . there was no mention of creating a device
class
on the new library manager instance - so I didn't.  This caused very nasty
ANR9999 messages on the library manager client when the new library manager
couldn't
perform mounts.  Defining a device class on the new library manager quickly
solved this.

I tried to be a good tsm admin . . . . I tried to use ISC to do most of the
work.  What a
frustrating tool . . . . I both liked a lot it did, and, left me pulling
what little hair
I still have atop my head out.    I allowed it to use it's defaults for
defining the library,
paths and drives.  I need to crawl back through these definitions to see if
the
defaults are what I really should have.

Thanks

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.