ADSM-L

Re: Some strange tape related issues?

2006-04-08 19:15:04
Subject: Re: Some strange tape related issues?
From: Bill Kelly <KELLYWH AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:03:45 -0500
Maybe I can chip in something useful on question #4 (then again, maybe
not...)

It looks to me as if the DB backup you took in step 4 was what you used
to restore the DB to the new server in step 11?  If so, then I think
that the fact that you did the 'move drm' in step 5, *after* the DB
backup was made will be lost when that backup is restored.  So I would
expect the "new" server to think that whatever tapes were involved in
the drm move offsite were still in the library...that's what its
database says.

Or do I misunderstand what's wrong in question 4?

Regards,
Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT
334-844-9917
>>> Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK> 04/08/06 9:05 AM >>>

Question 4

For this question I need to tell you the sequence of events.

1) Allow backups to finish
2) Create offsite volumes
3) Migrate all data from the backup pool (caching is off)
4) Backup the DB
5) Move the drm to offsite location = vault
6) Prepare the drmplan and move off site also
7) Halt TSM Server
8) Shut down physical server
9) Connect new server to the library and drives used above
10) Boot and check drives etc are seen
11) Restore the DB to the new server
12) Start TSM

Now, as well as all the scratch tapes it can't see and the two from
the
tapepool, it also says that it can no longer see the off site tapes
that I
created earlier this morning, even though they were moved off site and
the
status of those volumes changed to vault. TSM knew they had been
removed
from the library so why is it trying to see them 'in' the library now?

The command I use to move the volumes is as follows :-

move drm * wherestate=mountable tostate=vault remove=bulk

Again, I'm sorry for the lengthy prose, but i thought it best to be as
verbose as possible.

All the best

Farren Minns
John Wiley & Sons Ltd