ADSM-L

Re: Dual Write for Migration from Diskpool to Tapepool

2006-04-07 09:32:33
Subject: Re: Dual Write for Migration from Diskpool to Tapepool
From: Andrew Carlson <naclos AT SWBELL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 06:28:36 -0700
I submitted this very request at Share about 4 years ago.  I saw it on
one of the furtures lists, but I am not sure whether they construed my
request as what we got - copypool during session backup - or not.  this
no longer concerns me as it did, because we have gone to a disk onsite
pool.

--- VOJTA Othmar <othmar.vojta AT IT-AUSTRIA DOT COM> wrote:

> Hi to all ITSMers who writes data into Tape Copystoragepool.
>
> Nowadays two tapes (Storage Pool Type PRIMARY and Storage Pool Type
> COPY)
> ONLY can be written simultaneosly with a Client SESSION.
> When Migration from Diskpool to Tapepool runs this is NOT possible.
> A Backup Storagepool from Storage Pool Type PRIMARY to Storage Pool
> Type
> COPY must be done to get the Backupdata for the desaster location
> into SYNC.
> I know, there is a workaround to backup the DISK Storage Pool to the
> COPY
> Tape Pool first. We do this also.
> But there are situations in a large production system, where the real
> live
> do not agree with the concepts of the ITSM Manual.
>
> Therefore in the year 2002 we started a marketing request, but there
> is no
> positive response from IBM to do this (only promisis - not so urgent
> and so
> important - only for my IT..., but in the meantime I know several
> installations in Austria with the same need!)
>
> It should be possible, when starting a migration from disk to tape
> pool, the
> SECOND COPY is done at this time with a lot of benefits:
> * Backup/Archive Data are ALWAYS in SYNC for desaster or simply when
> the
> primary ATL (Tape Robot) must be varied offline for maintenance
> * CPU cycles are saved, because you do not need to run a Backup
> Storagepool
> or copy the tape after migration is finished
> * the big Cartrides (300GB) are not held for hours and hours when the
> Migration runs and the Backup Storagepool is waiting fot the input
> tape and
> wastes a device
>

> If you have same or similar symptoms and want to Dual Write for
> Migration
> please ANSWER !!!
>
> yours sincerely
> Othmar Vojta
> INFORMATIONS-TECHNOLOGIE AUSTRIA GMBH
> ZDM - Zentrales Datenmanagement
> A-1020 Wien, Lassallestraße 5
> Telefon: +43-1-217 17- 57882
> Telefax: +43-1-217 17- 8957882
> mailto:Othmar.Vojta AT iT-AUSTRIA DOT com

Andy Carlson
Gamecube:$150,PSO:$50,Broadband Adapter: $35, Hunters License: $8.95/month,
The feeling of seeing the red box with the item you want in it:Priceless.