ADSM-L

Re: multiple dsmcad procs running

2006-04-06 10:01:58
Subject: Re: multiple dsmcad procs running
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:57:19 -0400
On Apr 6, 2006, at 9:25 AM, Vlijmen, M. van wrote:

Goodday,

We have IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 5.3.2.0 running on a ppc64 redhat
 machine One of the clients is a hp 9000 with hpux 11.i V1.
By accident I started three instances of adsmcad. I killed two of
them and
happily went home at the end of the day.
The next day I found out that the backup didn't run because the TSM
server
was unable to contact the client.
In the dsmsched.log I found that the last scheduled action was one
of the
killed dsmcad processes.

Am I right in assuming that correct authentication only takes place
between
the server and the dsmcad process that initiated the first
contact with the server? So, in this case the TSM server didn't
recognize
the dsmcad process?

Michiel - The concept of port acquisition pertains here...

Like the Scheduler itself, the CAD uses a single, defined port number
for incoming communication from the server.  And only one process can
acquire a given port number.  Kill of the port-holder process, and
then there's nobody listening.

See IBM Technote 1079454 for the gospel on this.

  Richard Sims