ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server and clients with 2 NICs

2006-04-05 17:13:19
Subject: Re: TSM Server and clients with 2 NICs
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:11:00 +0200
Mario Behring wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am installing a second NIC (GBIC) on my TSM Server and some clients
> (servers) to create an alternative network, a faster and more
> reliable one, in order to reduce my backup window for some critical
> servers.
>
> The original NIC will still be used for workstations and some
> non-critical servers backup though.
>
> What steps should I take to configure both the TSM Server and Clients
> to use this second NIC ?

on the server, you'll need a second ip-address of course. Configure your
clients to connect to that address.

Now, depending on your os and actual network config thing become more
complicated. If you have a really dedicated subnet for backups, your
server will do the right thing automatically, otherwise, you'll probable
need to set some routes manually, or force source based routing on your
tsm server, or, well whatever.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams