ADSM-L

Restoring Backed Up Storage Group and Oracle cross system restores

2006-04-05 10:06:07
Subject: Restoring Backed Up Storage Group and Oracle cross system restores
From: Jack Coats <Jack.Coats AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:40:32 -0500
Someone else set this up and they are gone now and I need a little help.

We have one storage group we keep only one backup in it.  Every day we
issue a 'backup stg onecopygroup offsitegroup'
I have not been able to find out how long we keep the 'offsitegroup' or
how many copies.  I was told this 'offsitegroup' is kept for 30 days (or
versions).

We have a TDP used on AIX to backup Oracle that backs up to the
'onecopygroup'.  I may need to restore a database from a week or so ago
today.

My gut feeling is to just bring back all my 'offsitegroup' tapes (or
preferably just a few) and TSM is smart enough to just use data from
those tapes to do the restore.  And when we are done, send them offsite
again.  But I am not convinced I am right.  So here are some questions:

        (1) Where should I look to see how long the 'offsitegroup'
really keeps backups.

        (2) How could I determine which tape(s) I need to bring onsite
from the 'offsitegroup'?

        (3) Do I need to move the data back into the 'onecopygroup' to
be able to restore from it?

        (4) Any suggestions/tips/howto/RTFM on how to setup and perform
a restore using RMAN with TSM?

        (5) This will be restoring to a different Oracle server (putting
data back on a test Oracle Server
                that was backed up from a production Oracle Server.

As always, Thanks for your assistance. ... Once I get this done, I will
post a summary.
Jack Coats
Ardent Health Care
Systems Engineer
7100 Commerce Way, Ste 180
Brentwood, TN 37027
615-296-3313
jack.coats AT ardenthealth DOT com - jack AT coats DOT org

Privileged and Confidential: The information contained in this e-mail message
is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the intended
recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you have received this document in error and that any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
by e-mail, and delete the original message.