ADSM-L

Re: Random Access Disk Pools

2006-04-04 13:18:26
Subject: Re: Random Access Disk Pools
From: Andrew Carlson <naclos AT SWBELL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:14:50 -0700
Rod,

After spending 4 weeks using file device class disk pools, I would say
use random access.  Here is why:

The speed of the random access disk pools is phenomenally better than
the file device class - not sure why though

The volumes (from the presentation I just read from the other email)
are supposed to be picked based on filesystems with no volume mounted.
What I found is the it selects them in collation order.  This accessed
the volumes on one raid group, giving the worst performance of all.
After using a kludgy method to spread the data around, the performance
was better, but did not approach random access

Small files were a problem in some cases.  Since I was collocating, if
alot of small files were written to a volume (in this case, it was
moving my dirmc pool), there can be alot of wasted space.  Apparently,
a block of 256K is written to disk no matter how much data is being
written.  If alot of small files are written to a volume, space can be
wasted because the volume will fill before capacity is reached (we were
using predefined volumes)

It takes alot of time to predefine the volumes.  We were finding it
took about 19 hours to predefine 2TB.  We were able to run 8 of those,
so it ended up taking 19 hours to predefine 16TB, but that is still a
long time.

Some portion of space is taken up by volumes that are not yet full
(with predefined volumes at least) in a file device class.  This is not
a worry with random access, but fragmented aggregates could be a worry.

My plan is to move data off of random access volumes on the weekends to
help prevent fragmentation.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.