ADSM-L

Re: Deleting RMAN catalogue file

2006-03-29 14:20:35
Subject: Re: Deleting RMAN catalogue file
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:14:33 -0700
        We just started using TDP for Oracle, and my interpretation of
the documentation I've read is that RMAN is in control of the whole
process and you shouldn't try to delete/expire the files out from under
it.

        In a couple of cases where the DBA has been unable to see the
old backups to delete them, they have been able to run some RMAN
commands to have it query the TSM server and get the RMAN catalog back
in sync. Not sure what that command is, I'm not a DBA, perhaps someone
else in the list could talk to that.

        In one case on a test server that was build and rebuilt a few
times, they just could not get RMAN to see older TSM backups. In that
case, I renamed the filespace to another name, kept the filespace around
for the desired retention, (30 days for this server), and then deleted
the filespace.

        Sorry but that's all the insight I have into your issue, I have
never tried to expire any of the individual TDP backup files.

Ben