ADSM-L

Re: NAS from a TSM perspective - looking for good/bad/ugly

2006-03-23 08:36:31
Subject: Re: NAS from a TSM perspective - looking for good/bad/ugly
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:31:58 -0500
Thanks for the comments . . . .

> We were up to almost 2TB per drive, and after
>recarving it out so that each drive was <700gb, we saw a noticeable
>increase in performance and reliability from the TSM backups.

We just talked with our local IBM TSM person yesterday about this project
to get his ideas.  He
made a very interesting comment - that the Windows filesystem only supports
one scan process
per filesystem.  Setting resourceutiilization high will cause
concurrent/parallel data sessions sending
files to the tsm server from one filesystem, but it WON'T cause parallel
sessions to scan the filesystem.
I don't understand this, but it's what he said, and it's kind of what you
indicate.  What we came away
with is that we need to find a balance between multiple filesystems and
filesystem size such that we get
good backup performance.     So the windows folks are going to want one
huge filesystem per server,
and we are going to insist on multiple filesystem each up to some size.
How big and now many we
need to figure out.

Thanks for the war story!

Rick

             "Schaub, Steve"
             <Steve_Schaub@BCB
             ST.COM>                                                    To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: NAS from a TSM perspective -
                                       looking for good/bad/ugly

             03/23/2006 05:51
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Rick,

We don't use any NAS or HSM here, but having gone through 6 very painful
months of trying to stabalize TSM backups on 3 large (3-4TB each)
Windows fileservers, I can share what we have learned in that area.

1. The fileserving itself hardly every taxes our machines, but TSM can
and will take up every resource available during backup.  Assuming the
4-8TB 6-8mil files per machine you describe, I would not want less than
a 4-way 3Ghz with 4gb ram running W2k3 SP1 - and I would like an 8-way
x64 with 8gb ram running W2k3 64bit if I could get it.  I would also
recommend a dedicated gigabit link for backup.

2. Use TSM journaling.  We went through some pretty complicated dance
steps to get individual journal processes running for each volume, it
may be worth it to you, or you may opt for the standard single journal
instance.  It depends on your change rate, and you want to clear the
journals up every so often (monthly reboot or restarting the journal
service will zero out the journal db and cause a non-journal backup the
next run), but it has the potential of cutting a huge chunk of time off
your nightly backup. On 2 of our machines, it cut the time from 7hrs to
<1, but the 3rd had hardly any affect because it houses the .pst files
which are obscenely large and backup every night (800gb worth).

3. The biggest thing that helped us in the end was reducing the size of
each individual volume.  We were up to almost 2TB per drive, and after
recarving it out so that each drive was <700gb, we saw a noticeable
increase in performance and reliability from the TSM backups.  We were
still sending the same amount of data, so don't ask me why this helped,
but it did.

4. YMMV, but on some of these machines, I use a resourceutilization=25.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions or need any
sample scripts etc.
Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, WNI
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee