ADSM-L

Re: 3584 power supplies for LTO

2006-03-23 08:23:51
Subject: Re: 3584 power supplies for LTO
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:23:02 -0500
On Mar 23, 2006, at 7:15 AM, Large, M (Matthew) wrote:

Hi all,

We had a power supply fall over recently (but we have redundancies
setup, so the power supply above took over), but if I hadn't been
looking for the manual in the back of the library I wouldn't have seen
the lights or fans off.
How long can these power supplies last when feeding two drives?
How do you any of you guys know if you have a power failure in your
3584? Is it normal for library units to not report these kinds of
failures?

By virtue of host connection, libraries may send error information to
the OS error handler, for logging in that OS's error log.  The 3584
manual UltraScalable Tape Library Planning and Operator Guide
describes the opportunity to use SNMPTRAP to monitor your library.
The Redpaper at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/
redp3822.pdf talks of using TapeAlert to get hardware problem alerts.

A surprising number of large sites do not monitor their hardware,
though outages can be very impacting.  If any List member sites do
not yet, by all means embark upon implementing that missing link in
availability assurance.  It's not that difficult, and having that
further awareness of what's going on is very reassuring.

   Richard Sims