ADSM-L

Re: MAXSIZE

2006-03-14 02:15:58
Subject: Re: MAXSIZE
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:15:42 +0100
Richard Sims wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Remco Post wrote:
>
>> So now for the question at hand, how do aggregation and the maxsize
>> parameter interact? Both during B/A and migration/reclamation?
>
> Remco -
>
> There's no mystery in this - it's all laid out in the IBM
> documentation, as previously indicated. During backup, client data is
> formed into a transaction according to the limits imposed by the TXN*
> parameters, and if the determined size fits in the primary landing
> area, it goes there, else further down in the stgpool hierarchy.
> Migration can happen if the current size of an Aggregate fits in the
> next lower stgpool.

Thanks,

and of course, since the landing area is determined before the actual
start of the data-transfer, in filesystem sizes are used to determine
the expected size of the transaction during b/a activity. The actual
size of the aggregate is used during migration/reclamation/whatever
since at that time that value is known.

> Your desire to service restorals without tape argues for an
> investment in some kind of disk array, with a Migdelay value such
> that older data migrates to tape.

Well, actually, I've been thinking about that. I would probably set a
migdelay, but make it huge (years?) for the smaller file pool and maybe
set it to a few days (or a week or so) for (disk-/file-)pools that hold
the larger files.

Anyway, I think I can now present a clear picture of both cost and
benefits to management.

>    a weary Richard Sims

Thanks for your clarification, your help and a good nights rest did
wonders ;-)

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams