ADSM-L

Re: Question on recommended excludes for TSM-Mac Clients with MacOS 10.4 ?

2006-03-09 13:37:48
Subject: Re: Question on recommended excludes for TSM-Mac Clients with MacOS 10.4 ?
From: JN <mrtuvok AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:34:32 -0800
Hi Rainer,

     It really depends on a number of factors such as whether or not you are
backing up customer installed third party applications, whether or not
e-mail is kept on the server or the local system, and how standardized your
environment is, to name just a few.

        If you have a pretty standardized environment then I would strongly
recommend excluding everything, then including only the information in the
/Users directory.  This will preserve the majority of the data that applies
only to your customer.  After that you may want to consider including only
those other directories that contain absolutely essential customer data such
as Eudora e-mail folders and the like that live outside of the /Users
directory.  This should cut down the number of entries considerably.  This
solution also assumes that your systems have a standard build that includes
all necessary software so that if a system completely crashes only the
customer specific data will need to be restored.  I hope this helps.

     Jim