ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3 web gui

2006-03-08 13:24:32
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3 web gui
From: Aaron Becar <ab032 AT BYUH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 08:21:02 -1000
Try this!

http://www.tsmmanager.com

said:

> In looking at this implementation, I am left to wonder, "What's in
> this for me?" Sounds like putting it up is quite a bit harder than
> it is worth.

I'm exasperated by the GUI efforts too, but I think that's a little
too strong.  There are lots of folks who want a straightforward
graphical view of what their stuff is doing, and I don't see any
reason to just refuse them.

But since it comes from IBM, there's a natural sense of "Why can't I
do <feature q> through the GUI?", so IBM tries to cover all of it.

Unfortunately, "all of it" is hideously complex.  Think of the range
of exposed interface complexity for an everyday task:  registering a
node.

At the minimal level, we've got something that tastes nearly zeroconf:
the default signup policy domain.  Just point your client at a server,
and *ping* you're done.

On the other hand, we've got the web interface, with it's encyclopedic
--21-- options!

In my docs, I say

>>> On this screen, you should presume that no change is necessary to
>>> any field unless it is mentioned herein.

and I still get blank looks and a scared expression 3 times out of 4
from a new domain admin.

Now, I know why they've got all the options there; it's probably
generated by the same syntax engine that generates the docs, and that
helps ensure that it's complete and accurate.  Rock on.  But that
makes it specifically wrong for the class of users (new,timid) which
was your reason for webifying the bloody thing in the first place.

So if IBM wants to deploy a web interface for newbies and operations
staff, have it be limited and relatively weak, and make no bones about
it.  Let the aftermarket folks accept the slings and arrows of
outraged admins, and cherry-pick the ideas that come from them.

- Allen S. Rout