ADSM-L

ASR woes part 2 - system state/services restore

2006-03-08 07:59:01
Subject: ASR woes part 2 - system state/services restore
From: Paul van Dongen <Paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:55:56 -0300
Hello TSMers,

   A few weeks ago, I posted a message describing the trouble I had using ASR
on W2K3. I return here to say that after a long battle, which included
embedding device drivers into the Windows install disk , the process is running
almost OK now.

   I ran into a nasty problem, though, when I tried to ASR-restore an ISA
server machine. This server has ISA server installed into drive D:, and this
installation for some reason (I am not an expert in the newest ISA Server
versions) includes ADAM (Active Directory Application Mode). The ADAM Database,
adamntds.dit, is located in the "D:\Program Files\Microsoft ISA
Server\ADAMData" folder. When I restored the server, one of the ISA services
complained about a "file not found", which I pointed to the ADAM database.
   VERY luckily, this was still a drill, so I had the machine's original disks.
I installed them and rebooted the machine. Looking at the TSM client backup
window, I saw that the files the mentioned folder were automatically EXCLuded
by the "Operating System Files" rule.
    If this is true, I expect this files to being backed up in the
systemstate/systemservices objects, but the ASR restore didn't restore them,
even when I modified the ASR script to restore drive D: before restoring the
systemstate/systemservices.

    Does someone have a clue about ADAM being restored as systemstate/services,
and if this is true, about any limitations on restoring system "objects" to a
drive letter other than C:?

Thanks,

Paul van Dongen