ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3 web gui

2006-03-06 14:26:49
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3 web gui
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:25:41 -0500
I agree - there are SOME things that were designed really well in the
AC.

I've been VERY impressed that it finally is much easier for newbies to
create management classes. The library creation tool is also excellent,
and (with the exception of one mis-labelled option) the DRM and checkin
wizards are great for new users.  When I'm working with new admins who
aren't used to the old GUI, they don't seem to have any trouble or
complaints with the AC conceptually, just with the bugs (like the java
command line frequently doesn't work, and the screen jumps out of
position too often).

On the other hand, putting a GOOD DESIGN on top of a BAD STRUCTURE was a
BAD PLAN.  Did any of those "I-WANT" statements specify "I WANT A TSM
FRONT END THAT REQUIRES WEBSPHERE AND A BIGGER HOST THAN I CURRENTLY
NEED TO RUN MY TSM SERVER?"
I Doooooo't think so!  It's like trying to stuff a hippo into a
perambulator.  It's like chartering a 60-seat chauferred bus to buy eggs
at the 7-11.  It's like donning a full moon-walk life-support suit to
clean the litter box.  It's like..well, better stop.

And WHERE did this notion of "one consolidated front end" come from?
Who does it help?  In any site with more than 1 staff person, the
division of labor is that the Storage person uses all the storage
products, not just the Tivoli products;  the Security person uses all
the security products, not just the Tivoli security products, etc.  It
makes sense to drive all the Tivoli STORAGE products from one
(non-websphere) interface, but not "everything".

On top of that, the product was clearly released before it was fully
cooked (telling new TSM users to use the command line for DRM was
absurd), and the original decision to tell people there would NOT be a
transition tool was ill-considered, arrogant, and as might be expected,
disastrous.  As are the continuing problems with packaging,
installation, and documentation.  The installation problems and the lack
of a useful command-line capability seem to be what frustrate
experienced TSM admins the most, not the AC design.

In fact, I spoke at one point with someone who had participated in a
customer workshop to preview the ISC design.  He said "We all really
liked the design.  But they DIDN"T TELL US it was going to be so
topheavy and so slow and require Websphere".  Another case of how to get
bad results from surveys... but that's a different soapbox.

At any rate, I don't think the Admin Center itself is the problem.  It's
what lurks beneath...

My opinion and nobody else's..

Wanda