ADSM-L

Re: Novell Backup Errors

2006-03-01 11:36:33
Subject: Re: Novell Backup Errors
From: Aaron Durkee <adurkee AT CHSBUFFALO DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:36:07 -0500
I differ a little, There is some nlm (nds.nlm?) if loaded the q tsa nds is
required to generate a password file as while.  But that information is a
little dated ...

>>> Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU 03/01/06 10:38AM >>>
A plain "q tsa" will accomplish that.  There's no need to do an
additional "q tsa nds".

Troy Frank wrote:
> My confusion was the use of "q tsa nds" during setup of the client,
> since it's not necessary to make nds backups work. All you need for
> that is to add NDS: to your dsm.opt DOMAIN statement.

But you still have to provide a NDS user and password to backup the
NDS
with at aome point. Using "q tsa nds" lets you specify that
userid/password combo from the prompt instead of having a scheduled
backup sitting there waiting for that information. :-)

Also, oddly
> enough you've gotta be careful to try older tsa versions also. I
always
> try the newer first, but for the last several versions things have a
> tendency to break, then be fixed, then break again in the next
version.

> One thing I forgot to ask previously was what netware version/patch
> revision he's at. I'm assuming he's at some rev of Netware5 given
the
> tsa he's using, which also leads to questions about what kind of
volume
> vol1: is (tfs/nss). He may want to run a vrepair, or nss poolverify,
> just to make sure all's well with the filesystem. Might also be a
good
> idea to run a full repair of the nds partition that this server is
in.

> Troy Frank
> Network Services
> University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
> 608.829.5384

<snip>

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.

-------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is confidential, intended only for the
named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are
not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender by reply e-mail, delete
this e-mail from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately.
Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any
attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.  This message and
all contents may be reviewed by authorized parties of the Catholic Health
System other than those named in the message header.

The contents of this message do not bind the Catholic Health System to any
contract, position, or course of action unless the sender is specifically
authorized to enter into contracts on behalf of the Catholic Health System. The
contents of this message do not necessarily constitute an official
representation of the Catholic Health System.